A self-confessed bad cook learning how to make Indian food.


Wednesday 3 April 2013

Let's stuff these samosas!

I probably don't need to tell you what a samosa is. They're so famous that even M&S sell them. But what you probably don't know is how far young Indu would sink in her seat when Momma Kumar would say "should we make samosas on the weekend?". 
Let's make three things clear before I start:

 1) When Mum asked IF we should make samosas over the weekend it was not a suggestion. She was just giving me a heads up.
2) My place in the samosa factory line was a given. and I was not happy about it.
3) The samosas would take over the entire weekend. Mum would remind me not to make plans for the weekend. then we would make them. Then we would spend most of the weekend eating them.

 To begin with we'd argue which samosas to make, minced lamb or potato. Even though we both knew that we'd end up making both. We had already got our aprons on so we may as well do it properly.

I can hear you asking "my god! why don't you just buy them from the shop?!" and it is a fair point. The shop bought potato ones are not so bad -if you know where to go. But I will tell you what my mother told me all the time growing up: You never know what they put inside the meat ones. Given the massive horse meat scandal my mothers words are oddly prophetic!
 
Store bought vegetable samosas. Perfect to eat in the car ride from uni!



Chicken Samosa from my friend's henna party. Definitely not my favourite kind of Samosa.

That is the reason we made samosas at home. Though I have a sneaky feeling that there were other things going on in our samosa weekends. After the initial reluctance I quite enjoyed making samosas with my mum (granted she did most of it), but I remember her laughing, talking to me about making samosas with her mother.

My mum is one of four sisters and she tells this one anecdote about making the samosas for the wedding reception of her eldest sister. I remember my mothers doughy hands sealing the samosas while she told me how they made HUNDREDS of samosas for my aunts wedding. And how they were tired and how her mother ran the kitchen and everything went off without a hitch. and she took the most pride in telling me how wonderful it was to watch everyone eat the samosas they made at home.

The memory of making samosas with my is one of my favourite childhood memories. Looking back, my father and brother would conveniently disappear when we made then and reappear when they heard them sizzling in the oil. Cheeky. Nevertheless, it felt like a good days work when we counted up all the samosas we made, placed them carefully in the freezer.  We put aside the ones we would have for lunch that day.

Samosas are great! You can enjoy them anywhere...
Piping hot samosas from a roadside cafe, passed around the family, going from New Delhi to Punjab. Or having a sneaky one in the car before you take them home, carefully balancing the chutney on the armrest.  And meandering through the shopping district in Punjab, samosa in hand,  taking quick hot bites because you've seen a saree that needs closer inspection...
But my favourite samosa memory is one that is repeated often. Samosas are delivered to the table at my aunts house. Everybody smiles and politely takes one samosa. you break open your samosa and either rejoice at having picked a lamb samosa (they're always so much better) or you quickly gobble up the potato one so you have another go at getting a lamb one. Like the Karela, homemade samosas are prestigious. Someone is sharing their time, effort and love with you.


please excuse the dopey expression!

How to spend Easter weekend making Samosas:
First, tell your parents you won't be coming home for the holidays. They will try to ply you with promises of lamb curry, shopping trips and your weight in Easter eggs.

Second, make samosas Saturday night, video call everybody so they can see you are making them from scratch (play it cool) and then fry them on Sunday. You are too tired to eat on Saturday night.

Finally, make Aloo Tikki (potato cakes) from the leftover filling. coax/guilt/threaten your flatmate to make chickpeas to go along with the samosas and then FEAST.


The ultimate test for me was to make my very own samosas from scratch. It is not a task for the faint hearted and you can't give up half way. So spurred on by the instructions from my mother and holding my trusty potato peeler I began.

Filling


I'll talk you through the process with the photographs I took. I took visual evidence because I don't think anyone would believe me otherwise. 

So first I made the filling. My mother told me what went in the filling but otherwise everything else was done from childhood memory. 

Boil some potatoes until soft
 
while the potatoes are boiling. You can get started on spicy part. Fry some onions until golden brown and add salt, chillies,crushed garlic and ginger. Add mustard seeds too. You can put peas in too but I hate them.
Mash the potatoes and add the onion ensemble. mix well.



Pastry

Everybody I told was taken aback when I told them I made the pastry too. The conversation when something like this:

I made samosas.
from scratch?
yep.
well done. you bought the pastry though right?
um, no. Made that too.
what?! wow...
If truth be told, I didn't even know you COULD buy the pastry for samosas! (If I had known that I would have bought it instead!)

No store bought pastry, no nonsense.
 
I drizzled a bit of oil into plain flour and kneaded it, adding warm water as I went. the onion in my dough is a trespasser.


 By this point you will be kneading (get it?) a break.
when it is smooth leave it to sit for 15mins
Put a flat pan on the stove and wait for it to heat as you roll out the dough as if you were making a chapatti. Long, thin and round is the aim. You place them on the pan and wait for them to change colour slightly. do not cook them!

Cut the pastry in half. Right down the middle, as equally as you can. I remember my mum letting me cut the first pastry, it was always wonky. Every time.

These will the the triangles that you fill. I made 18 samosas. Slightly more than I wanted too but when your flatmates threaten to hide your Nutella you don't mind making 10 extra samosas.

Let's stuff those samosas!

Right. So here we are, the moment where this all ends. At this point I was very tired, my dishevelled hair is white with flour and my fingers are overworked by the kneading and the rolling. I clear the work top and pile the dishes high in the sink. I roll up my sleeves, take a histrionic deep breath, roll back my shoulders and with renewed energy say 
"All right. Come on. Let's stuff these samosas." 
And so it began...I emerged from a puff of flour with a small amount of plain flour in a bowl to which I added warm water to make it runny. This is the glue that will seal the samosas.

 Then I got a small spoon, made and sealed the pastry in a cone shape. Then I carefully filled the samosa being careful not to tear the pastry.
Unfortunately after the first stuffing we had a casualty. This pioneering first samosa-to-be-stuffed plummeted 1m to his death.
His death was not in vain.
The next day I took the leftover filling mixed it with some gram flour and made Aloo Tikki to have with the Samosas for dinner. My flatmate, as predicted, made chickpeas to go with them. 
Chana. or chick pea curry.


Aloo Tikki ready to be fried
Samosas are deep fried and Aloo Tikki is shallow fried
Scrumdiddlyumtious!
Finally, dinner time.

Final thoughts

Making samosa was definitely satisfying. There is an unfamiliar fuzzy satisfaction that builds in your chest whenever anyone says  well done or delicious! But the real test will be when I take them home tomorrow for my parents to try. If they like them I'll have to whip up a batch all the time and if they don't I can reclaim my seat as a passive member of team Kumar. And so we wait.

4 comments:

  1. I have the exact same experience with samosa in my family. We too have a factory assembly line although my job is really handing my mum the pastry as she does not trust me with filling the pastry but I am great at eating them.
    Great work on the Blog and on making the samosas they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadia, I'm also great at eating them too ;)

      Delete
  2. Well done! You're getting better at cooking! They look really tasty as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures from the cooking experience! And your samosas look delicious! I'll definitely try some after this hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete